Empowering Community Livelihood in Upper Kinta Basin as part of Post Covid-19 MCO Strategy
This project is a 2 years project implemented by Global Environment Centre (GEC) in partnership with Department of Irrigation and Drainage (DID) Perak and funded by Yayasan Hasanah (YH) under Ministry of Finance (MOF) with aims to ensure the targeted communities are able to survive the impact of the pandemic on their current livelihood and prepared for a new norm post Covid with the enhancement of the livelihood and work areas. The project will focus on providing steady food security during the recovery stage and enhance the skill as well as prepare the communities and their site to regenerate alternative income/source of living post Covid. The project will be able to promote economic empowerment, building of human capital and social inclusivity; and that is able to re-start or generate new and sustainable economic activities among Upper Kinta Basin communities.
- Orang Asli Communities
- Peri-urban and urban community groups
- Agencies and Government Departments
- To ensure the targeted communities are able to survive the impact of the pandemic on their current livelihood and prepared for a new norm post Covid-19.
- Focus on providing steady food security during the recovery stage and enhance the skill as well as prepare the communities and their site to regenerate alternative income/source of living post Covid-19
- To enhance alternative livelihood for Orang Asli communities at Kampung Tonggang and Kampung Makmur located within Upper Kinta Basin.
- To enhance KRT Klebang Selatan One Stop Centre and urban farming projects as urban community alternative livelihood model
- To promote urban farming to the new communities within Upper Kinta Basin to enhance food security, community welfare and nutrition
- Establishment of Sg Seno'oi River Open Classroom
- Implementation of the Water, Sanitation and Hygiene (WASH) education program initiative
- Formal setup/registration of KRT Klebang Selatan community organization for running One Stop Centre (OSC).
- Promoting green initiatives through single use plastic reduction
- Establishment of a green community garden in KRT Klebang Selatan
- Establishment of urban farming through vertical garden concept to 1 pilot high rise community within Upper Kinta Basin
- Establishment of connecting bridge/hanging walkway for river crossing at Mount Korbu trail.
- Establish more facilities along the Mount Korbu eco trail such as benches, camp sites, potable water storage etc.
- Trail audit and safety check by BOMBA for finalization
- Conduct training for 10 OA community as porters or tour guides in partnership with Forestry department
- Establishment of a group committee to monitor and manage the activities implement
- Complete facility along the Mountain Bike eco-trail Kampung Tonggang
- Construct facilities such as mini chalets, mini hut, parking area and etc. near Seno'oi River